Tuesday 8 February 2011

Miss April Playboy Lipstick Review

Hugh Hefner certainly has built himself quite an empire, has he not? I know there’s a wealth of items adorned with the bunny logo, but didn’t actually realise Playboy has a beauty line until a friend gave me a Miss April lipstick that I promptly forgot about. A recent NYX haul (will update when receive my goodies) on Cherry Culture resulted in me stumbling across the range and reminded me of the few Playboy Beauty items languishing in my drawer. 

The price is $14, which is around £8 – a high end drugstore lipstick. The packaging is very similar to Urban Decay, except rather than the dagger, there is a bunny head. It’s cute and stylish, although I am hesitant in popping the lipstick into a handbag simply because should the bunny head snap off, it’ll be hell trying to extract the bullet (this has occurred to a UD lipstick tester in Boots).
On the Cherry Culture website:
Playboy Beauty Calendar Girl Lipstick    $14.00
Create a sexy, youthful pout with this highly-pigmented formula. Weightless formula keeps lips soft. New technology blends a high level of color pigments for true color and shine enhancing polymers for long wear. Formula contains anti-oxidants vitamins A, C and E.
 From the description, I’m totally sold.
 Miss April is a beautifully rich berry red that is extremely creamy. There are sparkles in the bullet which vanish on skin contact. Application is lovely and pigmentation is very, very good. The lipstick kept my lips well moisturised and I really loved the colour on my lips.

With flash, the colour looks more coral.

No flash. A very good representation of the colour.

Patchy colour

However...if you look carefully at the photos of my lips, I’m sure you can spot the uneven colour (enlarge by clicking on the photo if you wish). That was the result of my smooshing my lips together as I always do in order to test the creaminess. The fact that such a simple action results in a horrid colour distribution has left me quite disappointed. Perhaps it will not occur with the use of lip primer, but I have yet to test that.
Review Summary:
Packaging: 9/10
Formula: 6/10
Cost:   $14 (£8-ish)
Verdict: Colour is gorgeous and the formula very moisturising, but creases too easily. Will not repurchase.
Has anyone else tried the Playboy cosmetics? Or did you even know it existed?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...